Louisbourg lighthouse was the first lighthouse to be built in Canada and was originally built in stone. Construction began in 1730 to assist boats navigate the waters to the Fortress, and it was completed in 1734. Unfortunately there was a fire that destroyed the light in 1736 and the it was not replaced until 1738.The lighthouse was a key vantage point during both sieges, as it commanded a gun point to bombard the Fortress. The lighthouse was damaged during the Finale Siege of Louisbourg in 1758 and the ruins can still be seen at the site today. The lighthouse is the now the start of a walking trail and a popular look off.